CryoNet Station and Site Requirements
In order for a surface station or site to be included in the core part of the GCW network, CryoNet, it must meet certain criteria. The minimum requirements are given below. Contributing stations, which are part of the GCW surface network but not part of CryoNet, do not have the same requirements (see the Station-Site Types page). If a station or site meets these requirements, additional information can be provided for further evaluation through the GCW Station/Site Questionnaire. The application process is detailed here.
CryoNet Station Requirements
The minimum requirements of CryoNet stations are:
- Meeting Core CryoNet Measurement Requirements: The station shall measure at least one of the variables of one of the cryosphere components (i.e. snow, solid precipitation, lake and river ice, sea ice, glaciers, frozen ground and permafrost). The station location is chosen such that cryospheric measurements are representative of the surrounding region, and such representativeness needs to be clearly described.
- Commitment of Operational Continuity: The station must be active. The responsible agencies are committed, to the extent reasonable, to sustaining long-term observations of at least one cryosphere component. There must be a commitment to continue measurements for a minimum of four (4) years.
- Metadata Up to Date and Availability: The station metadata, including all metadata describing the station characteristics and observational programme, are kept up-to-date and available in the GCW Portal as the interface to the WIGOS Information Resource (WIR).
- Compliance with Agreed Regulatory Practice: The station observational procedures, the instruments and method of observations, quality control practices, etc., should follow GCW endorsed regulations, manuals, guides and, to the extent possible, the recommended best practices.
- Data and Ancillary Data Freely Available: Data are made freely available, and whenever possible in near real-time. In situ ancillary meteorological observations, as required by CryoNet best practices, must also be available with documented quality.
- Competency of Staff: Personnel must be trained in the operation and maintenance of the station.
CryoNet Site Requirements
The requirements of CryoNet sites are:
- A site comprises at least one GCW CryoNet station.
- Integrated sites have technical supporting staff.
- Integrated sites have training capability.
- There is a long-term financial commitment.
- Data are made freely available, and whenever possible in (near) real-time.